Friday 2 June 2017

Your Childhood Dream Becoming a Reality.

On April 21, 2017, twenty five years after my elementary school counselor visited our Grade 4 classroom to teach us about the importance of celebrating our accomplishments, I received a phone call from my interviewer at Delta SD offering a chance to fulfill my lifelong childhood dream. 

It was a chance to finally take an opportunity that worked. No obstacles or binding contracts with another school board. Despite the drive over the bridge, I took the chance as an opportunity to prep for my last case study exam, learn more about the reporting process to child welfare and assume the position on my own. 

I started the academic year in a new position, inquiry based learning, hitting the ground and running with little previous experience. Now, I am ending off the year in the same way. Facing new challenges and taking on new opportunities despite many non-believers amongst the crowd. 

Throughout grad school, there were a few naysayers who tried to dump on my goals. Saying that I may not be cut out for being a counselor. Hardliners, they say. I've come to further realize that you are the only one who knows what you are capable of. Never to allow anyone dictate to you what you are or are not ready for. Sometimes, others may think they have your best interest. But I find this rare. Attempt and seize your goals as soon as you feel when you are ready. Many times, the best way to learn is to experience the dream itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment