Sunday 4 October 2015

18 Year Old's Dream of Becoming a Journalist Starts with MIT Admission.

On a Sunday in October at the YMCA gym, I meet Lucas B, an 18 year old from Brazil recently admitted into the Journalism program at MIT. Here's our conversation:





Troy: Hay Clara, meet Lucas.

Clara: *relaxes in hot tub and sticks hand out* Hi, I'm Clara.

Lucas: Lucas. I'm from Brazil.

Clara: So, what brings you out here to Canada?

Lucas: Well, I'm here to practice my English before going to Boston.

Clara: Boston?

Lucas: Yes, I will be going to school there.

Clara: Where?? Harvard?? Omg, did you get into HARVARD, holy cow!

Lucas: No no. MIT. I went for a swim test for a swimming scholarship.

Clara: OMG! Congratulations!!! What will you be studying????

Lucas: Journalism. I always liked to write. Be a reporter. Also, I like to say *pretends to hold microphone*, "How are you doing?"

Clara: *laughs out loud* *pretends to hold microphone* "How are you doing Lucas?"

Lucas: HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Clara: Well, this is really exciting. Since when did you want to become a journalist?

Lucas: 5 years ago.

Clara: And how old are you now?

Lucas: 18.

Clara: Oh! okay, *does math in head* So, you've wanted to do this since you were 13. That is crazy, omg, congratulations for making your goals come true.

Lucas: THANKS! *pretends to hold microphone* It's my dream. "How are you?" HAHAHAH!

Clara: Well, congratulations. I know what it feels like to go after your goal for a long time. I've been wanting to be a school counselor since I was eleven years old and ain't nobody stopping me.

Lucas: Yes, it does feel good. I am starting in February and I will be here for five months to practice my English. It was good i passed the TOEFL test to get into MIT, Clara.

Clara: Well, this is nuts. Congratulations again. And I'm going to be blogging about you tonight on my website.

Lucas: ABOUT ME??


Well, there you have it everyone. Another motivating story about students working hard and going after their goals. Congratulations Lucas!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment